oyuki

Sunday, February 04, 2007

Mustang GT/CS report

Well it has been three months since purchase and I have put over 5,000 miles on it. I think I like it, what you think?

Good points, its a Mustang. Getting used to driving it. At first was a bit timid figuring out its quirks. First gear is not something to stay in past 5mph. I like to get through the gears as fast as possible to get to cruising speed; I am not stomping the gas pedal, remember only 5k miles so still braking it in, but when the tach says 2,500rpm I am shifting to next higher gear since I do not see the point of trashing a new motor by going past 3,000rpm. At first I thought I would never use the seat heaters, but I was wrong. Plopping into the Mustang on a cold day onto those leather seats, brrrrr!!! The heated seats makes it very nice until the car's heater starts pumping heat. Instrument cluster upgrade is a pretty good investment. The Ford book on Mustang options is wrong when it comes to this, the upgrade has far more idiot lights than the stock instrument cluster. Shaker 500 sound system is pretty good also; useful features is a mute button that pauses your CD or quiets the radio when you pull up at the drive-thru and it has an aux jack to let you plug an MP3 player in, assuming loading the 6 CD-changer with MP3 stuffed CDs is not enough for you.

Bad points: Its a Mustang. The suspension is pretty good but a bit springy with a solid rear axel. Which means when the rear hits a road defect it does not like while you are in a curve, the rear can bounce and try to go places you don't want to go. Or as I had happen last night, I was in a curve over a concrete bridge and the road joint intersected my turning front wheels just right to try and wrench the wheel from my grip. That was fun and reason why I still use both hands when driving. No one handed holding the top of the wheel with wrist inside the radius of the steering wheel for me. Another gripe is the nanny-state Tire Pressure Monitoring System [TPMS] that the Federal government mandated on all 2007 and later vehicles of less than 10,000 lbs. As you drive these little transmitters on every tire valve stem tell your car what the tire pressure is, if you park they still transmit at intervals of two hours. According to the law, it must light up a warning in the car when tire pressure drops 15% under recommended pressure. I got the warning on a rainy night when this yellow tire symbol popped up on the instrument cluster, I thought I had picked up a nail. Luckily I was just a few miles from home and eased the Mustang home while anxiously waiting for a tug indicating a flat tire but it never happens. I got home and dug through the owner's manual. That is when I found out about TPMS so then I got online. Ford is proud of the fact their TPMS goes off at 14% and they rail against using tire pressure gauges that pop out a stick to show pressure since they say they are inaccurate. Right. I used such a gauge to re-inflate the tires upto 32/33lbs after finding one tire reading 22lbs.. what about this 14% Ford? Then I cranked up the Mustang to find the idiot light still on. So back to online research to find out that now that I have inflated the tires I must drive for at least two minutes at over 20mph to reset the light. I locked up the Mustang and called it quits for the night. Next morning the idiot light was out. Remember, every two hours while parked? That reset the warning light but the Ford site never mentioned that. Thanks Ford.

Final point, the hood scoop is an option for all Mustangs. It is not part of the California Special package. And at $1900s this appearance package with 18-inch wheels and leather seats is far cheaper and nicer than a Rousch Stage One body-kit only package for the 2007 Mustangs which costs $6,000.

I am still thinking of getting a vanity tag for the car. 007CSGT right now is a leading favorite. Any suggestions?

No comments: