oyuki

Friday, March 03, 2006

The verdict is in

Former California Republican Representative Randy 'Duke' Cunningham has been sentenced in connection with his pleading guilty last year. He has been sentenced to eight years and four months in prison, the longest sentence meted out to a Representative in years/decades.

"Your honor, I have ripped my life to shreds due to my actions, my actions that I did to myself," he said. "I made a very wrong turn. I rationalized decisions I knew were wrong. I did that, sir," Cunningham, 64, said.

At least some of his training as a naval officer still clings to him judging from the above statement as he took responsibility for his actions. It is kind of sobering and should be a cautionary tale what happened to Cunningham. From being the U.S. Navy's only ace of the VietNam War to being a convict, that if he is not released early for good behavior, will be 72 years of age once his sentence is over. How power and money can lead even an exemplary person to ruin if they are not vigilant guarding their honor.

No comments: